The historical features of the Šiupyliai, or Zamūšė, church and the parish
Based on archive documents and literature, the development of Šiupyliai (Zamūšė) church during the period from the 17th to the start of the 20th centuries and some aspects (educational etc.) of parish activities are described, and the image of the current church is discussed. The problematic dating of the foundation of the church and the parish is highlighted. It is thought this occurred in 1623, when the kings foundation privilege was declared saying that in 1619 the royal representatives had chosen the site for the church. However, the Gruzdžiai church has a Šiupyliai (Zamūšė) parishs marriage registry book filled in Latin in 16191690, hence, as if witnessing that in 1619 there could be a church or a chapel providing the sacraments. The 1788 inventory mentions a newly built but already aged church. In 1799 a new church was erected, and it was burnt down in 1915. Both these churches were wooden. The new church built in 19241928 stick to the folk building traditions adjusted to the church architecture requirements. Thus, a specific sacral ensemble had been created. The church carried on not only pastoral activities, but it also was educating people and took care after the poor. In 1844, the parish centre moved to Gruzdžiai, but in 1913 Šiupyliai regained the parish rights.