Mills in the area of Pilviškiai during the years of Lithuania’s independence (before 1940)
Eligijus Juvencijus Morkūnas, Gražina Teodora Morkūnienė
The essay chronologically covers the mills that existed in the area of Pilviškiai, within a radius of about 14 km from the town, during the interwar period. They are described in terms of the archival projects, plans or dimensional drawings in question, supplementing them with other archive documents and notes of the autor.
The description includes water, wind, steam and other heat engines, as well as cleaning machinery, such as millstones, rollers, groats, cleaning, sieving, etc. machines, transportation equipment, hygiene and work safety measures, as well as mill divisions: sawmills with saw-frames, woodworking workshops with circular saws, lathes, planers, wooden roofing cutting machines, and finally, power plants. The latter were initially used only to lighten the premises and later to turn the mills. Fulling and flax scutching machines also often were at the mills. Perfect combination was a sawmill and a steam mill, when sawmill waste-fired moble steam engine (locomobile) whirled mill equipment and the same mill .
The abolition of private property and the war destroyed the Lithuanian mill industry.